20 Things You Can Only Learn From Growing Up With Brothers
My adolescent years were an adventure. I grew up in a house filled with brothers three brothers to be exact.
Usually people cringe and ask, HOW was that? Most people think growing up with all men in your family is miserable.
Yes, there were times when growing up with older brothers had its rough moments. There were days Id constantly compare my athletic abilities to my brothers; there were days they would drive me crazy, pick fights with each other and then me. Somehow, he only girl end up as the referee.
And dont even attempt to think about what the bathroom once looked like.
But there are a multitude of positive outcomes from growing up with all boys, and in a way, a girl with that many brothers has an advantage. She learns how a guy thinks, as well as their unexplained quirks that only a guy understands.
I can only imagine what it would be like to grow up with a sister oras an only child. Chaos, a loud household and overall the never a dull moment vibe while growing up is the only thing Im familiar with.
So, besides learning how to (sort of) read the male brain, growing up with brothers is an experience, an adventure and ultimately, the only way I would have ever wanted to grow up.
Here are 20 thing you learn while growing up with brothers:
1. Youll develop skin thicker than leather.
After all, who doesnt like a girl who can stand up for herself? Life is tough, but so are you.
2. Your taste in beer will prosper.
After all, who was your brothers first drinking buddy? You!
3. Tying a bowtie and/ornecktie is completely second nature.
No YouTube video required.
4. Youll know enough about almost every sport to hold a conversation.
But its completely OKto know nothingabout sports that dont interest you.
5. Youll be used to somehealthy competition.
Chill, girl. If you lose in a sport to one of them, its their height, testosterone or (insert excuse here) to blame.
6. Your brothers will tell you what they like about women.
Hint: Dont be afraid to eat like a pig around guys.
7. You acquire a taste for whiskey.
Whiskey is the king of alcohol, and your taste for whiskey puts you on a pedestal in any mans eyes.
8. You can take a shot of any alcohol without hesitation.
Except gin. Save yourself the pain.
9. Your first job was the role of referee or babysitter during your adolescent years.
You might have been the youngest, but you were definitely the most responsible.
10. Youll learn to accept yourself.
Brothers dont care how thin you are. They love you just the way you are.
11. Youll no longer cringe (or at least cringe as often) at guy-humor.
Although, there is a fine line
12. Patience and simplicity.
Guys value their chill time, and you should, too.
13. Cooking really is the way to a mans heart.
Learn how to master one signature dish, and youre golden.
14. Your first guy friends were actually your brothers.
And theyre the only ones who will be there until the end.
15. You can fish like a pro.
Just pack your patience. You might be there all day.
16. Your creativity will grow.
Guys are the best at coming up with excuses for anything.
17. Brothers dont really notice labels.
No need to purchase the over-priced designer shoes when you can purchase the off-brand for less.
18. Carbs are actually good for you (in moderation).
They give you energy. Enough said.
19. Brothers see things you dont.
Theyre completely OKwith telling you afriend is annoying or aguy is a jerk.
20. Brothers never really grow up, they just learn how to act in public.
And I wouldnt have them any other way.
Subscribe to Elite Daily’s official newsletter, The Edge, for more stories you don’t want to miss.